Title: Creating Extra-Ordinary Teachers: Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom & Beyond
Author: Mike Fleetham & Dr. Branton Shearer
Publisher: Continuum 2008
Format: Paperback, An unusual size (between A4 & A5), 130 Pages
"Their book is provocative, practical, and disarmingly personal"
Professor Howard Gardner
This book is a practical guide to the creation of a personalised path to the development of leadership potential. It has five main aims:
- To increase understanding of the skills utilised by highly effective teachers
- To inspire readers to recognise and appreciate their own and others’ potential
- To increase readers’ insight into their multiple intelligences (MI) strengths and the relationship of these to effective leadership
- To guide readers in the creation of a realistic, personalised leadership development plan to maximize strengths and manage limitations
- To help readers learn how to use their multiple intelligences to contribute something of value to their community in a leadership role.
The book includes self-assessment and interactive leadership development planning materials. Readers will be able to complete an online questionnaire and discover their MIDAS profile, which can be used for the activities in the book. Alternatively, there is a simple self-check included in the book which can be used for the activities.
Section 1: Extra-Ordinary Teaching and Leadership
Writing the story of your teaching and leadership life
What is extra-ordinary leadership?
Who will I become?
Who will we become?
Creating your unique leadership path
Section 2: The Gift of Multiple Intelligences
A rough guide to MI
The MIDAS profile
Your brief leadership profile
Create your MI Leadership folder
MI in Action 1: Stress organisation strategies
MI in Action 2: 8 heads are better than 1
MI in Action 3: Strategies to enhance your work
MI in Action 4: Inspired study strategies
Section 3: Tools and Techniques for Extra-Ordinary Leadership
The five keys to leadership
Unlocking potential - Something to RAVE about!
Leverage your achievement
The L.E.A.D. Plan
Your perfect career
Careers associated with the Multiple Intelligences
Section 4: Being Extra-Ordinary in the UK and US
UK vs US education
My long and winding road
US: Six extra-ordinary journeys
UK: Six extra-ordinary leaders
Resources and Further Reading
“Branton Shearer, a psychologist with expertise in assessment, and Mike Fleetham, a master teacher and teacher educator, have combined their respective areas of expertise in teaching, leadership, and multiple intelligences. Their book is provocative, practical, and disarmingly personal.” Howard Gardner, Harvard University, USA